The Daily Blog (2006-2007)

I view writing as an intellectual pursuit that requires much thoughts,patience,creativity and imagination.As an amateur writer,The Daily Blog is an account of my inspirations as I venture into uncharted waters to explore new horizons in literature.

Saturday, April 28, 2007

My life begins in May



The last 5 months were unbelievable. I eat and sleep to wake up to sleep again. I told myself life must be more than this. However, this explains how I can update my blog so regularly you actually think I work in the press. It's not like I can't blog again when school starts but you have to agree with me when I say there are 24 hours only in a day, and much more things comes first. Mind you, I don't want to be a full time blogger. It's not a real job and it sounds stupid. Cool, but still stupid.


Anyway, May is coming and my holiday shall come to an end. let's just pay 1 minute of silence for that.


Well life moves on. And this time. It's bound to be a little different. For the past 5 years, I studied whereby every year I share class with the same faces and the same gang of friends. School policy- smart people should gang up together. And there were no surprise until SPM or 'O' level finished. Now since the time has come to make decisions and make path for ourselves, most of my close friends decided to leave for either this or that.


And me, unlike Robert Frost who said in his poetry 'two roads diverge in a yellow wood and sorry I could not travel both', I have one road and I am sorry I have to walk it...... Sijil Tinggi Pelajaran Malaysia (STPM).
Or in direct translation - Certificate for highly educated people of Malaysia.


If I'm not mistaken, it is rated as the world's no.4 toughest and pointless examination. In Malaysia, every 18 year old would prefer not to take up this examination. Almost everyone who can afford to go to college flee to college, everyone who cannot afford college flee to cheaper colleges. And the Malays go to a special programme call the Matriculation (a much easier form of A level, but is not recognised by any other country) So the leftovers are people like me and perhaps some of you. Face it, Matriculation was formed to give chance to Malays and bumiputera. Chinese and Indians that came later were perceived to be much smarter and is of course cut off from many opportunities offered by the Government. Malays and bumiputera are not stupid, they never was but they are spoilt. The longer they are spoilt the weaker they become, if Meritocracy were to be applied to our system. In 2 years time, there will be lesser of them in our local universities, but in 10 years time, they will eventually pick up and proudly says 'Chinese also not so smart lah'.


When it comes to study and education in Malaysia, I was naive before, I am not now.


It all started when I was young and I didn't know any better. I actually believed that the purpose to study is to equip myself with knowledge, to enhance my mind and become a better and intellectual person.


Siao ahh, that is for Ang Mo Lang in Americas. In Malaysia, we study hard hard is to get STRAIGHT As!


Other than that, chiak sai!


I came thus far, and no, for public exams in our country, I do not see it anymore as education. I see it as a job. This job has a target, the target is to get As.


So I got my job and I'm making myself working for 10 hours a day in order to meet my target. It's not that bad after all. Most working adults got to work 10 hours a day. If they don't perform, they either remain where they are forever or get fired. The world is round.


We may lived without wars (I don't like to call it 'in harmony') but sure this is a complicated society.


My life begins in May.

Labels:

11 Comments:

  • At 8:27 PM , Blogger Orange said...

    "I came thus far, and no, for public exams in our country, I do not see it anymore as education. I see it as a job. This job has a target, the target is to get As."

    Amen.

     
  • At 11:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    hahahahahahahahahaha

     
  • At 1:34 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm glad you thought so at one point in time but I still believe that education is "to enhance my mind and become a better and intellectual person" instead of for the jobs only. I hope you try to get out of the system to pursue your own ideals of an education.

     
  • At 10:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    u finished only PMR and ran overseas.....tq.

     
  • At 9:37 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    yea...it shows there is a world of possibilities out there. you just have to explore them...don't feel trapped

     
  • At 9:51 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I think he's talking about Malaysia and the system, special rights and the disadvantages of being a non-bumi. And how this system made him feels like education seems to be a job to get As rather than the correct reasons. If you are fortunate to study overseas and hav never experienced Malaysian 'system' he also mentioned: "Siao ahh, that is for Ang Mo Lang in Americas. In Malaysia, we study hard hard is to get STRAIGHT As!"

     
  • At 12:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I have been in the system before. In retrospect, I know how stifling it is and I can only imagine how much more stifling it gets as you go higher. I know there's nothing you can change about the system or at least it's very hard to change it but it's possible for you to get out of the system and pursue your ideals elsewhere. The whole world is yours to explore. Don't think I was rich or fortunate to be able to go overseas though. Andrew you should know me. Andrew's probably smarter than me.

     
  • At 1:04 PM , Blogger Andrew Ho said...

    :-)

     
  • At 8:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    andrew is smart? ha! he cant even peel off a banana skin.

     
  • At 8:44 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I can peel an apple seed. It's on youtube.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grMFTuuH-lM

     
  • At 3:36 AM , Blogger Ashvin said...

    hey there i totally understand how u feel. I went through the same thing and it sux. I had 7As and 2credits for SPM and my results at uni have all been really gud. I've done a masters and now im applying for jobs and the horrid companies are asking for my stpm results, mostly As. It is such a pain coz i didnt get As OBVIOUSLY and it is affecting me now even though I am in the UK miles away from Malaysia. The malaysian education truly sux and I wish I had never done STPM. I would never advise anybody to do it as u study like 3 times more than someone who does A Levels and theres no need to even mention the lame matriculation that the bumiputeras do. This is one reason that stops me from coming home to Malaysia ever. Malaysia is driving away intelligent chinese and indians with this racism and obvious discrimination. As much as I love Malaysia as its my home something has to change in regards to the education system.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home